A Comparative Study on Drought coping ability of SRI and Conventional method of Paddy Cultivation
During 2009 kharif, out of 526 meteorological districts for which data are available, 215 districts (41%) of the meteorological districts received excess/normal rainfall and the remaining 311 districts (59%) received deficient/scanty rainfall. The agricultural operation of paddy was severely affected due to scanty rainfall in early part of the monsoon. Paddy cultivation area came down to 327.40 lakh hectares compared to normal area of 391.17 lakh hectares. So a study on “A Comparative study on Drought coping ability of SRI (System of Rice Intensification) and CMP (Common Management Practices) method of rice cultivation in India” was carried out through SDTT partners by involving some other institutes within a time frame of two months with the objective on finding out the ability of SRI to cope with drought-like situation in comparison to conventional methods of paddy cultivation as well as presenting suitable management practices for coping with water stress.
For a detailed report on the study, please click Drought Study Report